Saturday, June 21, 2008

Stuck on C


Just when I thought I was done w/ the letter c, I stumbled upon this:

Land O Lakes now has butter in half sticks. They are really easy to use. When I opened the box, inside there was a recipe for Favorite Chocolate Cake. I read over the ingredients and had everything in the pantry to try it out. The recipe is a follows:

1 cup of sugar
1 Half Stick of Land O Lakes butter,(1/4 cup) , softened
1/4 cup sour milk*
1 (1-ounce) square unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup boiling water
Powdered sugar or heavy whipping , whipped, if desired

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8-inch square baking pan, set aside.

Combine sugar and butter in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add sour milk, melted chocolate, egg and vanilla. Continue beating until smooth. Reduce speed to low; add flour, baking soda and salt. Beat until well mixed. Add boiling water; continue until smooth.

Pour batter in prepared pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Dust cooled cake with powdered sugar or serve w/ whipped cream.
Makes 12 servings


*Substitute 3/4 teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice plus enough milk to equal 1/24 cup; let stand 5 minutes

I pretty much followed the recipe except instead of sour milk, I used buttermilk. I also noticed that when I added the boiling water, the mixture seemed a bit thin. After the cake cooled, I dusted it w/ powdered sugar and dark cocoa powder. The cake had a nice crumb to it and is just the right size as it only makes one layer.

While eating a piece, I started thinking about the possibilities. This cake could be covered in a chocolate ganache or even a buttercream icing. Orange zest could be added to the mixture as well as orange flavoring instead of vanilla flavoring. The possibilities are endless! Hope you try it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Honestly, who but you sits around after making a cake and pondering how to make it into something else completey?!! Ok, I do that to! What a pair we are! The cake looks divine! I'll try it soon and let you know what I think!